FORT OF TARAPORE, TARAPUR

Two beaches lay about four kilometers west from Tarapur. Well known is the Tarapur beach with a dilapidated Portuguese fort which was it was in a ruined state in 1862, part of the north wall having fallen. The Tarapur Fort, with wells and gardens within, was given in inam (a grant of real estate) by the Peshwa to Vikaji Mehrji, for a hundred years, and is still held by his heirs, and is currently in custody of Chorge family.

 IMAGE COLLECTION

Nilesh Bodas, 2010 (Picasa)

Konkan Premi, 2007 (Flickr)

Shail Bhramar, 2007 (webshots.com)

Sidh Mendiratta, 2007 (webshots.com)

AnĂ³nimo, 1620-40 (e-corpus.org)

 

 

More pictures...

(Google Images)

 SOURCES OF INFORMATION

At the end of the thirteenth century (1280), Tarapur is mentioned as one of the towns conquered from the Naiks by Bhim the legendary ruler of Mahim in Bombay island. [Naime's Konkan, 22.] In 1533 it was burnt by the Portuguese. [De Barros, VII. 501; Faria in Kerr, VI. 223, 225.] In 1556 the Portuguese possessions near Tarapur were greatly increased, and it was the head of the richest of the Daman districts. [De Couto, VIII. 208.] In 1559 an assault by some Abyssinian troops was successfully beaten off. [De Couto, VIII. 208.] In 1582, and again in 1612, the fort was unsuccessfully attacked by the Moghals.[De Couto, XI. 195; Mickle's Lusiad, ociii.] In 1634 the town was the seat of a magistrate with powers over half of the Daman territories. It exported provisions in which the country round was rich, and had a good trade with Surat and Diu. [O Chron. de Tis. III. 199.] The fort was surrounded by a wall with round bastions, and, besides quarters for the garrison, had a church, a Dominican monastery, and a hospital or misericordia. The garrison included a captain, a naik, ten peons, and a bombardier, a police inspector and four peons, an interpreter, a writer, a torchbearer, and an umbrella boy. Besides the garrison there was the vicar, and fifty Portuguese,200 Native Christians, and about 100 slaves, good fighters and well armed with swords, lances, and guns.  More...     

The fort can be best viewed by walking on the walls of the fort. Unfortunately, the unruly and excessive growth of the vegetation makes it very difficult to see the fort. There is a small inscription on the walls of the fort on the outside in Portuguese. Viceroy Matias de Albuquerque, who ordered the fort to be built in 1593, had this put up. There is a small watch tower in the fort from where the entire scene can be viewed. More...