CHAPORA FORT, VAGATOR
The Reis Magos Church or Church of the Three Magi Kings was built by Franciscan Friars in AD 1555 in the town of Reis Magos. They were in charge of missionary work for the area and so took over the church and founded a small seminary there. Reis Magos is a town lying beside the Mandovi River. This town is famous for two of Goa's very famous buildings; they are the Reis Magos fort and the Reis Magos Church. Of three churches in Goa, the Reis Magos Church is one where the Feast of the Three Wise Men is celebrated every year - and celebrated the most aplomb.
SOURCES OF INFORMATION
The Chapora Fort occupies an important position which, in every direction commanded distant approaches. Rising above the wide Chapora River, long before the Portuguese arrived in Goa, was a fort in place of the present one built. Even after the Portuguese acquired Bardez, the fort changed hands several times and was much sought after. Trying to end the Portuguese rule in Goa, Prince Akbar joined his father’s enemies, the Marathas in 1683 and made this place his base camp and it became the northern outpost of the Old conquests. After the Portuguese recovered from a scary experience with the Marathas they learnt that they had to strengthen their northern defences and provide shelter to the people there, but not until 1717 this present fort was built. More...
O Forte de Santo António de Chaporá, também referido apenas como Forte de Chapurá, localiza-se no concelho de Bardez, no extremo norte do estado de Goa, na costa oeste da Índia. Erguido em posição dominante sobre um morro, tinha como função o controle da foz do rio Chaporá. Esta fortificação foi originalmente construída pelo Adil Shah de Bijapur, o que lhe deu o nome ("Shahpura" = cidade do Shah). A atual estrutura, entretanto, é obra da engenharia militar portuguesa, datada de 1617. Tinha então a dupla finalidade de defesa da foz do rio e da população de Bardez contra os ataques dos Maratas, muçulmanos do norte.. More...
Chapora Fort, one of the most visited sites in Goa, the smallest state of India, was erected by the ruler of Bijapur. It is a massive structure built out of red laterite stones. Flanked by the Anjuna beach, this place draws the attention of tourists visiting Goa. The Chapora fort was mainly constructed for guarding against the Hindu looters who came to establish their territory in Goa. The fort was later demolished and reconstructed by the Portuguese in 1617. Today the fort is a major landmark in Goa. More...The Chapora Fort was built by the ruler of Bijapur, Adil Shah. The Fort gets its name from the Chapora River that flows by the fort. The Chapora Fort Goa is in ruins now, though it still retains traces of glory that it must have had originally. The fort is made of red laterite stones. Its location on a sheer cliff made it almost impregnable, and afforded a view of the sea and the land for miles around. Today, you can climb to the ramparts of the Chapora Fort Goa are gaze in silent contemplation at the sea, the only thing that has not fallen to the vagaries of time. More…